Thursday, February 13, 2014

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day...the day of love....for most women this is by far the most romantic day of the year. Valentine's Day has meant several different things for me through out my life. As a child, it was a day to celebrate with friends at school. You would exchange cards and candy and everyone had a great time. The older you got, the more it meant that someone thought you were cool and was probably too shy to tell you so they gave you the extra special card or small gift. As a teenager, it was one of my closest friend's birthday. We always did something fun and rarely was the day about romance. Once I was married it was my husband's birthday, so I always felt guilty wanting something special on that day because that was his special day. So once again romance was not on the table. Not to say I haven't had romantic Valentine's days....I have. But for the last 10 or so years, there have been no special day or special feeling about the day. Just another day to remind me I was single or in a messed up bad relationship. I have a feeling this year will be quite different. My sweet man has been really hush hush about the whole thing which is unusual because he is definitely the king of romance. So I have a feeling there is a surprise in store for me. Which considering his situation is romantic in and of itself. The trouble he had to go through in order to pull off any kind of surprise for me is romance enough. We shared our first kiss on Valentine's day 20 years ago so the day itself really holds a special meaning for both of us. So while my friends are out enjoying special dinners and romantic plans, I will sitting in the prison visitation gallery eating out of the vending machine but the truth is I would not want to be anywhere else unless he was there with me. Happy Valentine's Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment