Friday, February 28, 2014

History

People always ask me why would I want to spend my life with someone who has been in prison for 20 years.....and to give you the brief answer...because he is "MY PERSON" I used to watch Grey's Anatomy religously and I never understood Christina and Meredith and why they were each other's person. Honestly I have never felt comfortable enough with anyone in the world, including my family and closest friends, to just really be myself NO FILTER NO MASKS NOTHING! That is truly a revelation...the people who I feel are the closest to me have no idea of the pain and heartache I hide behind every day. So when I say he is "MY PERSON" he knows everything. We have no secrets. Because I trust our relationship and because I know he has nothing to hide from me, I am able to let my guard down and love him and let him love me. People always ask why is he in prison? He was convicted of first degree murder. Is he guilty? No. Why do you believe he's not guilty, a jury of 12 people believed he was, why not you? This questions takes the longest to answer and most of the time people don't really want to know the answer because by listening to this answer you have to believe that our justice system is corrupt. The system itself is not the problem. The problem lies with the people who are appointed to operate this system. First degree murder cases make or break careers. In the late 80's/early 90's gangs were a relatively new thing to Nashville, as far as Crips or Bloods, but the gangs came to Nashville and when they did it seemed most of the young black men living in "the Hood" were quick to want to join. Cyrus has told me about being on the basketball court in his neighborhood and the police coming and making all the guys lie down on the pavement and taking pictures of their haircuts looking for gang signs. He will be the first to admit he was no angel growing up. He got into his fair share of trouble. He was/is part of a gang. When you are young and receive a life sentence you have to decide how you are going to do your time. Joining a gang was the most obvious thing to do according to him. I have never been to prison and he has done his best to shield me from the prison culture, especially when I was younger but as I have matured and dealt with my own demons he has shared more of the things he went through when he was younger and how they shaped his prison experience. Yes bad things happen in prison and yes we have talked at great length about those bad things. Do I think prison has changed him? Of course....but I also think had he been out he would probably be dead by now. Most of the guys he grew up with are so....but I believe him when he says he did not kill that man. And I know that the prosecutor of his case knows he did not kill that man.

No comments:

Post a Comment